New Castle Disease is a very contagious and infectious disease of poultry. It is a notifiable disease that has an incubation period of 5 to 7 days. In most cases, almost all birds affected die.
Poultry especially at ages between three months and one year. These Poultry include:
- Guinea fowl
New Castle Disease of poultry which is notifiable is caused by a virus. This virus is called a para-myxo virus. There is also a sudden death in the acute forms.
Signs and Symptoms
In the less acute forms, the following symptoms will be seen:
- The birds have difficulties in breathing.
- The beaks remain wide open and necks are strained.
- They produce a harsh, grating rasping sound when breathing.
- The birds become dull.
- The birds stand with their eyes closed all the time.
- Loss of appetite in birds.
- Eggs laid have soft shells.
- They produce watery and greenish diarrhea.
- Most of the time birds have their beaks and wings down.
- Birds walk with staggering motion.
Studies have shown several factors namely:
- Cold or very hot temperatures
- Introduction of market birds
- Disposal of manure
- sick birds
Control and Treatment
Vaccination should be done during the first six weeks and then two to three months later.
Farmers are advised to kill all birds and bum them in case of an attack. Then they should clean and disinfect the houses before bringing in new stock.
Quarantine whereby the sick ones should be kept in quarantine.
However, there is no known treatment for this disease.
Keep rodents out of the chicken coop.
Always wash your hands after dealing with birds.
Reduce the chance of contamination of food and water from wild birds and animals.
How Can You Treat Newcastle Disease Naturally?
Here is a preparation method
- Put one liter of water in a container.
- Add 8 seeds of red pepper.
- Sprinkle in the mixture a tablespoon of wood ash
- Dip into the concoction a freshly cut aloe Vera leaf.
- Give to the chicken for three days.