Kenya Institute of Special Education came into existence in the year 1986. It was a result of collaboration between the Kenyan government and the Danish Development Agency ( DANIDA). A council manages the institute that is appointed by the minister for education. The director heads the institute and also serves as secretary to the council.
So, it is located in Kasarani, Nairobi County 12 km from the superhighway at Roysambu roundabout. The school mainly emphasizes how to deal with special needs students.
Courses offered at Kenya Institute of Special Education.
The school offers two main programs which include full-time and distance learning. Therefore, every year intakes are done for both programs. The programs are made to suit the learner and offer a successful career in the future. The learners maintain high levels of professionalism. However, the courses are offered to equip the learners with skills to work as special education teachers, assessment officers, traveling teachers, and guides in SNE.
Diploma Courses offered are;
Diploma in Special Needs Education (SNE) in:
- Autism, Emotional and Behavior Difficulties.
- Hearing Impairment.
- Intellectual Disabilities.
- Gifted and Talented.
- Visual Impairment.
- Physical Disabilities.
- Learning Disabilities and Inclusive Education.
The requirements for the above courses at Kenya Institute of special education
- Be a holder of a
- t with a minimum of two years of teaching experience or,
- Holders of Certificate Course in Early Childhood Education Development (ECDE) from a government Institution, and attained at least D+ in KCSE or Division II in KCE or its equivalent and at least 2 years teaching Experience or,
- One be a holder of a P1 teacher certificate through promotion after passing the PTC exam offered by the Directorate of Quality Assurance and Standards, Ministry of Education, Kenya or,
- Should be a P2 Teacher certificate holder, and certificate in Special Needs Education from Kenya Institute of Special Education or any other recognized institution. Also, should have attained at least a D plain in KCSE or Division IV in KCE or its equivalent, and at least 5 years of teaching experience.
Certificate course requirements at Kenya Institute of special education
Applicants of certificate courses should have a minimum of a Diploma in Special Needs Education (SNE). However, the certificate course is also open to teachers, parents, social workers, caregivers, braille transcribers, and any other persons with interest. However, form four educational level is required with a minimum D in KCSE.
- Kenyan Sign Language
- Disability Mainstreaming
- Inclusive Education
- Counseling Skills for Persons With Disabilities (PWDs)
- Community Mobilization for persons with disabilities (PWDs)
- Introduction to Persons with Disabilities
- HIV Mitigation for Persons with Disabilities, and HIV and AIDS Workplace Program.
- Kenya Institute of Special Education (KISE) Main Campus
- Kericho Teachers College
- Migori Teachers College
- Nairobi (CBD) Campus – Reinsurance Plaza
- Shimo La Tewa High School
- Sigalagala National Polytechnic
- Thika Technical Institute
To get an up-to-date fee structure, contact the Kenya Institute of Special Education.