A bloated stomach occurs when your stomach fills with gas. This causes physical stomach discomfort, pain, and poor appetite. Therefore, gas in your stomach is a result of swallowing some air while you eat some types of foods, chewing gum, and smoking. However, some medications can also cause bloating as their side effect. For instance sleeping pills, antidepressants, and sedatives. So, this is because they influence your nervous system in a way that may slow bowel contractions. Although bloating is sometimes a common harmless symptom, it can be a sign of a serious illness and lead to other conditions at other times.
There are people who may have a bloated stomach for a longer period. This may be due to gastrointestinal tract diseases such as gastritis, gastric ulcer, colorectal cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, and intestinal dysfunction. Also, other disorders such as thyroid and diabetes may contribute to bloating. This may require you to seek medical attention from a practitioner.
- Avoid eating foods high in fat because they are difficult to digest.
- Do not have very big meals at once.
- Ensure you chew food thoroughly before swallowing.
- Avoid Sitting for too long without exercise since it may contribute to bloating.
- Make sure you exercise regularly.
Warning signs and symptoms of bloated stomach
A. Loss of weight is the main warning sign for bloating. If you begin losing weight without any changes in your diet or without starting a new exercise habit, it should be a cause for concern. Weight loss can be a result of tumors pressing on your intestines. This can make you feel full after eating a small amount of food, or from substances produced by the tumors that control your appetite
For instance, ascites which is an abnormal fluid buildup in the abdomen. This can cause bloating, gaining weight, and a quick expansion of the waistline. Ascites are brought about by the liver disease. However, cancer is also a culprit for this. Too much fluid buildup can make you look and feel like a pregnant person. A combination of bloating and jaundice, that turns your eyes and skin yellow, maybe a sign of cancer that has spread to your liver. However, it also happens at the beginning of many forms of liver diseases like hepatitis.
B. Also, abdominal pain that is so severe and bloating that may suddenly occur, which can also be followed by nausea and vomiting is risky. It may turn out to be a sign of bowel obstruction from a tumor pressing on your bowel.
C. Blood in stool, vaginal bleeding between periods, and postmenopausal vaginal bleeding can also be linked with serious bloating. Mostly, these symptoms are commonly known to be symptoms of hemorrhoids, fibroids, and endometrial atrophy. However, caution should be taken because bleeding can also be a sign of colon or uterine cancer.
D. Bloating can come together with fever and this may be due to infection or inflammation.
What reliefs a bloated stomach?
- Make use of fiber supplements gradually so that you are able to poop regularly. Also, take lots of water. You can also buy Over-the-counter laxatives if needed.
- Probiotics can also help to rebalance gut bacteria. Others also help your stomach digest food better and others help in the absorption of excess gasses.
- Taking antacids helps relieve inflammation in the digestive system.
- Magnesium supplements are good because they neutralize acid and relax intestinal muscles.
- Taking herbal tea such as ginger, turmeric and fennel can help in digestion and the process of gas.