Sinus infection is an infection resulting from the swelling and inflammation of nasal cavities. In some cases, the symptoms are mild and others are severe. They are spread from person to person through viruses. Bacteria and fungi can also cause the infection. However, bacteria do not transmit the infection. Sinus infections are also called sinusitis or rhinosinusitis.
Types of Sinus Infections.
Sinus infections can be either of the following depending on their severity;
- Acute sinusitis- In this stage, symptoms are present by the time 4 weeks lapse or less.
- Chronic sinusitis- This happens when swelling of the sinuses takes more than 3 months.
- Subacute sinusitis- It happens when the swelling is present for a period of 1-3 months.
Causes of Sinus infections
- Allergy resulting from pollen grains and cold weather.
- Untreated tooth infections.
- When a person has a common cold or flu-like infection, they are likely to contract a sinus infection.
- Too much sugar in foods may cause blockage of the nasal way.
Signs and Symptoms of Sinus Infection
- A person with a sinus infection has no sense of smell
- The nose is always running with mucus.
- A persisting cough is often observed.
- Headache with facial pain in the forehead.
- Toothache from the clogging nasal cavity.
- Unending fever
- Pain on the body muscles and joints.
- People with sinus infections will have bad breath due to a clogged nose.
- A person suffering from sinus has swollen face.
- A greenish mucus is present in the nasal system.
Treatment of Sinus Infection
- Using antibiotics to fight the bacteria-causing sinus for a period of 5-7 days.
- Using sprays relieves the congestion of the nasal system. These decongestant sprays often make the swollen airways get to their normal size. However, being on these sprays for a long time can make the drug resistant.
- Using antihistamines in reducing inflammation from allergic reactions.
- Surgery is often the last option if other options provided and tested do not work. However, an experienced surgeon will always know how well they can fix the defects of the nasal system. They always do away with nasal polyps and open up clogging passages.
- Drinking lots of warm water to open up clogged airways.
- Eating more fruits and foods containing antibacterial properties such as citrus fruits, yogurt, honey, cinnamon oranges, and grapes.