Methicillin is also known as Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ( MRSA). It is an infection caused by a type of bacteria that has opposed many antibiotics used in the treatment of normal staph infections. Most infections happen to people working in hospitals or other healthcare setups. These infections are linked to intruding surgeries. It can be spread by healthcare workers through unclean hands.
Therefore, it is common both in hospitals and in the community. Also, it is often rebellious to antibiotic medicine. This infection mostly acts by occupying the bacterial cell walls.
- Healthcare-associated (MRSA)- (HA- MRSA)-This type normally occurs around healthcare settings.
- Community-associated(CA-MRSA) – This type normally starts as a painful skin boil. It is usually transmitted through skin-to-skin contact. Populations at risk are people who live in crowded conditions.
Causes of methicillin infection
A bacteria known as Staphylococcus aureus commonly known as staph bring about methicillin. This bacteria is normally found on the skin of about one-third of the population. These bacteria are harmless unless they get into the body through a cut or an open wound. They also cause small skin problems in healthy people.
Signs and symptoms of Methicillin
Methicillin infections mostly affect the skin. The skin begins to swell and painful red bumps that look like pimples or spider bites are formed. The affected area is usually ;
- Warm when touched.
- Full of pus or other flow.
- Associated with fever.
These red bumps can suddenly turn into deep- painful boils that require surgical attention. Additionally, they can dig deep into the body causing life-threatening conditions in parts such as the bones and joints.
Treatment and prevention
However, patients are often placed in isolated wards to prevent the spread. Healthcare workers taking care of the patients must wear protective garments. They are also required to follow hygiene procedures. Hospital environments need also to be disinfected. Some of the ways prevention of methicillin can be practiced is by
- Washing hands- By carefully scrubbing hands for at least 20 seconds or using sanitizer instead.
- Covering wounds- By ensuring that cuts are covered with clean and dry bandages until they heal.
- Ensuring personal items are not shared-Items such as razors and towels should not be used by more than one person.
- Sanitization of linens such as bedding and innerwear.
Risk factors for Methicillin
- Hospitalization- So, patients are usually hospitalized especially the elderly and weak-immune people.
- Having HIV infection – People living with HIV have a higher risk of contracting Methicillin infections.
- Gay- This is sex between men. Men involved have a higher risk of contracting methicillin.
- Unhealthy living conditions – Infections occur in unhealthy environments.
- Who is Nina Ali? Age, Edu, Husband, Children, and Career.
- Chris Tomer bio, wiki, age, children, wife, net worth, career.
- Vin Diesel Bio , Age, Family, Movies, Wife and Net Worth
- Chris Parente bio, wiki, age, children, wife, net worth, career
- Mark Wahlberg age, wife, children, movies, fame, net worth.
- Who is Oprah Winfrey? age, relationship, career, and net worth.
- Louis Bell Biography, Age, Education, Family, Net Career, and Networth.
- A list of special secondary schools, and contacts.
- Best Public High Schools in Kiambu County.
- The best private primary schools in Nyeri county.
- What is the history of Kenyatta University?
- Egerton university, fees, location, courses.
- Public Universities in Kenya
- Kenya Institute of special education, courses.