Tina Turner is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. She was born in Nutbush, Tennessee, United States. Her birth name is Anna Mae Bullock. However, she adopted the name “Tina Turner” after her marriage to Ike Turner. She had humble beginnings that shaped her into the formidable artist she became. She grew up in a rural town and faced Several challenges of poverty and racial segregation. This later influenced her music and activism.
Tina was born on November 26, 1939. Therefore, she is 83 years old.
Family of Tina Turner
Her parents were Zelma Priscilla Currie and Floyd Richard Bullock. her mother worked as a domestic worker. She was of African American and Native-American descent. In addition, her father worked as a sharecropper and was of African American descent. The father left the family when she was young, and she had limited contact with him throughout her life.
Husband and Children to Tina Turner
So, Tina has had a complex family life. In she got married more than once as outlined below.
- Ike Turner was her husband and music partner. This was her most well-known relationship and the two got married in 1962. They formed the musical duo “Ike & Tina Turner” and achieved became successful together. However, in 1976, Tina announced their separation due to domestic violence and abuse. It also led to an end in their professional partnership.
- Tina found love again with a German music executive Erwin Bach. They dated in the 1980s and got married in 2013 after being together for over 25 years. He has been a supportive partner and has played a significant role in her personal and professional life.
- Tina had a relationship with Raymond Hill, a saxophonist from the Kings of Rhythm. Together, they had a son by the name of Raymond Craig Turner in the year 1958. Unfortunately, he tragically passed away in the year 2018.
- Apart from her son Raymond Craig Turner, Tina and Ike Turner also had a son by the name Ronald Turner, also known as Ronnie Turner. He is a musician and has performed as part of Tina Turner’s band. Tina is also a stepmother to Erwin Bach’s children from his previous marriage.
- However, her career started as part of the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. This was a highly energetic and popular R&B and soul music duo. Alongside her then-husband Ike Turner, she delivered great performances and recorded several hit songs. For instance, “River Deep – Mountain High” (1966) and “Proud Mary” (1971).
- After their separation from Ike Turner in the late 1970s, she embarked on a solo career in the 1980s. Additionally, she also experienced great success. In 1984, her album “Private Dancer” was a breakthrough, featuring hits like “What’s Love Got to Do with It,” “Better Be Good to Me,” and “Private Dancer.” It sold millions of copies and got her several Grammy Awards.
- She continued with her career releasing albums including “Break Every Rule” in 1986 and “Foreign Affair” in 1989. She also achieved commercial success and showcased great vocals and a unique stage presence. She also did live performances and became legendary. This earned her the title “Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll.” Her notable performances include the iconic concert at Rio de Janeiro’s Maracanã Stadium in the year 1988. Here, she set a Guinness World Record for the largest paying audience ever for a solo artist.
- In addition, she had success in acting. She portrayed the Acid Queen in the film adaptation of the rock opera “Tommy” in 1975 and had key roles in movies like “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome” in 1985 alongside Mel Gibson.
- In the year 2009, she started a farewell concert tour called “Tina! 50th Anniversary Tour.” This marked the end of her live performances, and she officially announced her retirement in 2013.
Death of Tina Turner
In January 2016, she was diagnosed with intestinal cancer, she had shared in her memoir. She had noted that she had been suffering from chronic diarrhea for months previously. Since then, she had been undergoing several treatments for the same. However, on Wednesday 24th May 2023, her family announced her demise and noted that she died from a long illness. Tina died at the age of 83 years.