How to file for KRA returns. KRA is the Kenya Revenue Authority. The steps for filing KRA returns are almost the same as for filing other returns. Be it filing VAT returns, income tax for corporates, or your income tax. Through KRA’s online dubbed iTax, you can file your returns at any time. Individual Income Tax returns are to be filed by 30th June.
Filing Individual Tax returns.
The filing of individual tax returns is an online process on iTax. The following are the steps to follow;
- Open your default browser www.itax.kra.go.ke
- Enter your KRA PIN, and click continue. Enter the password and security stamp and log in.
- Under the returns section, click on the file returns section then select income Tax following the PAYE option.
- Click on the return tab and then ITR for employment income.
- Fill in the first section; Section A.
- Then in section T, fill in only two sections; Section 1.1 and 2.5.
- Afterward, move to section F and fill out Employment Income.
- Move on to section M and check that taxable salary, tax payable on taxable salary, and tax reduction salary. Calculate the information that reflects on P9.
- In section Q fill in the tax paid in advance if applicable. This is the last section of filing in the returns. After complemition click submit.
- If successful, you will get a new tab saying; “Return slip generated“. You can then click on the download button to get your slip.
What is the penalty for late filing KRA returns?
The penalty for late filing and paying tax is higher than 5% of the tax due or ksh. 2,000.
The interest is 1% per month when you are upon penalty.
How to pay individual KRA income tax.
After filing the return online via iTax, download the payment slip. Afterward, present it at any bank which you can pay through. Also, you can pay is via your phone. You can use Mpesa, Airtel money, or Telkom. Use the pay bill; 572572
However, the account number is the payment registration number. In addition, the number is quoted at the top right corner of the payment slip.