Eliud Kipchoge is a Kenyan long-distance runner. He was born on 4th November 1984 in Nandi County. Therefore, he is 38 years old as of 2022. He is the youngest of four siblings. His mother, a nursery teacher by then raised him. However, his dad died when he was young. He did start running as a child. This was from home to school. Eliud is known as the greatest marathon runner. Similarly, he is also the world’s marathon record holder. Kenya is so proud of him.
Kipchoge studied in two primary schools. They were in Kapsisiyiwa village in Nandi County. He did advance his studies at Kaptel secondary school. However, he did not progress to the tertiary level due to a lack of school fees.
Marriage Life of Eliud Kipchoge.
Eliud Kipchoge is a Husband to a humble lady by the name of Grace Sugut. Together for the past 18 years, the couple is blessed with three children; Lynne, Griffin, and Gordon. His wife is the home manager. This is because Kipchoge spends most of his time training and is only back during the weekends.
At 16 years old, Kipchoge met Patrick Sang. He is a Kenyan runner who became his coach. In 2003, Kipchoge won his major marathon. This was by defeating Hicham El Guerrouj who is from Morocco. This was a 5,000-meter race in that year’s championship.
In addition, Kipchoge won a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics, a silver medal at the 2007 world championship. Similarly, he also got a silver in the 2008 Games in Beijing.
- In 2013, Kipchoge won a race finishing in 2 hours 5 min 30 sec.
- Similarly in 2013, he ran in a Berlin race and was placed in second place.
- In 2014, Eliud won the Rotterdam marathon in the Netherlands.
- He also won marathons in Chicago(2014), Berlin(2015,2017,2018), and London in (2015,2016,2018 and 2019).
- Kipchoge claimed a gold medal at the 2016 Olympics held in Rio de Janeiro.
- In 2017, he won a race sponsored by Nike. This was in 2 hours 25 seconds.
- Kipchoge ran another race in 2019 finishing in 1 hr. 59 min 40 sec.
- He won his second gold medal at the 2020 Game in Tokyo. However, it was in 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
On 6th March 2022, Kipchoge wins in the Tokyo marathon, This is in the fourth-fastest time in history. What an achievement. He won the race in 2hr 2min 40sec. ” I always tell people that this is a really simple deal. Work hard” Kipchoge said. Therefore, Kipchoge has run three out of four fastest marathons in history. Similarly, he has ambitions to win a record-breaking third Olympic gold at Paris 2024.
However, Kipchoge says that he hopes his wins unite the world. The win was to bring a lot of positivity to the world, Kenyans and the whole world is proud of him.