What is Catarrh? When you experience a feeling in the nose, sinuses, or throat of mucus being trapped in either of those parts. Mucus is a fluid produced by the mucus gland and is usually very slippery. Sometimes this brings a lot of discomfort and at times constant urge to clear the throat or swallow the mucus. This kind of condition is referred to as catarrh or in other term postnasal drip. This is due to temporary illnesses and normally disappears when the illness has gone although some people can have chronic catarrh that may persist for as long as years.
causes of catarrh
- Smoke especially from cigarettes.
- Allergic reactions to substances like dust and pollen grains
- Too much spicy food.
symptoms of catarrh
- Frequent urge to clear the throat.
- Crackling in the ears
- Feeling stuffy in the nose
- Dulled sense of smell or taste
- Feeling swallowing frequently
Diagnosis and treatment
If you experience catarrh that has persisted for months or years, or even feel a nuisance to be with catarrh you should seek medical help. There are signs that show that you require medical assistance. These are;
- Bloody mucus
- Smelly mucus
- Shortness of breath
- Extreme high fever
- Wheezing-Chronic it is associated with pain, discomfort, and irritation.
There are home remedies that may help ease catarrh
- Taking a lot of water
- Inhaling steam.
- Using salty water when cleaning the insides of the nostrils.
- Avoid or minimize consuming spicy food, alcohol, and caffeinated beverages.
- Avoid allergy triggers by staying away from smoking zones and staying indoors during the pollen season.
- Also, prevent infection by washing hands frequently and also avoid contact with infected people.