Angelman syndrome is a genetic condition that affects the nervous system. It is named after a doctor known as Harry who first reported the disease. Additionally, it causes irreversible physical disabilities as well as learning disabilities. However, people suffering from the disease need to be supported for the rest of their lives.
However, the illness is strictly a genetic disease. It is caused by a genetic mutation of chromosome 15. It is also inheritable from parents to offspring.
what are the signs and symptoms of Angelman syndrome?
One can identify the disease through the following signs and symptoms:
- The patient gets excited easily even by the slightest provocation
- Laughs oftenly sometimes for no reason or with the slightest provocation.
- Being hyper active.
- Developing difficulty in sleeping patterns.
- Develops behavioral changes such as self hitting or self biting.
- Delays in developmental stages in children.
- Speech delay in children.
- Has abnormal facial and head appearances.
- Mostly, angelman syndrome is treated by physiotherapy. It helps to improve body posture and ability to walk. It also helps to prevent stiffening of the joints as old age catches up with the person.
- Occupational therapy. This helps to improve specific skills.It also helps to overcome motor difficulties.
- Speech therapy. It helps to improve language and communication skills.
- Health practitioners may also recommend medicines such as anti-epileptic medicine. They are used to help the person to control seizures.
Is AS curable?
There has not been any known permanent cure for angelman syndrome. This is because it affects the chromosomes .Therefore, there has not been any known repairs to chromosomes.
Is it preventable?
Home remedy for Angelman syndrome
People with angelsman patients are encouraged to help them support themselves do their everyday activities. This is because angelsman is not reversible and cannot be Treated. Additionally, there is also no way of treating it at home. Helping the people affected go through their therapies and being supportive could go a long way.
- Kenya Institute of special education, courses.
- Public Universities in Kenya
- Bay head elementary school history, enrolment, programs offered.
- List of Accredited Private Universities in Kenya
- How is The Lenana Boy school and location?
- What is the history of Kenyatta University?
- Kenya Medical Training College, courses, requirements.