Uhuru Kenyatta whose full name is Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta was born on 26th October 1961. Uhuru is the son of Mzee Jomo Kenyatta who was the first president. Also, his father was a founding father of Kenya, together with his fourth wife Mama Ngina Kenyatta. Moreover, he is the second born in his family.
He has two sisters. His siblings are Christine (born 1953), Anna Nyokabi (born 1963), and a brother, Muhoho Kenyatta (born 1965). However, he is a Kenyan businessman and a politician who has held different posts in the government. Uhuru was also the fourth president who served Kenya from 2013 to August 2022.
Uhuru Kenyatta age and background
Kenyatta’s age is 61years as of 2022. Uhuru is the son of the late Mzee Jomo Kenyatta. He was raised in a wealthy family that was politically powerful. Their rural home is in Ichaweri, a small village along Kenyatta Road in Gatundu South, Kiambu County.
Uhuru Kenyatta education
He attended his foundation classes of kindergarten and Standards One and Two, at Loreto Convent, Valley Road in Nairobi from 1965 to 1968. Also in 1969 and 1980, he schooled at St Mary’s School in Nairobi where he also graduated with his London GCE A-Levels in the year 1979. He later enrolled to study economics, political science, and government at Amherst College in the United States and graduated in 1985.
He met his wife Margaret while he was still in High School. They started dating and their relationship lasted. This couple married at the Holy Family Basilica in 1989. Together they have three children who are Jomo, Jaba, and Ngina Kenyatta.
Uhuru political life.
- After his graduation, Uhuru returned to his homeland and started a company by the name Wilham Kenya Limited through which he sourced and exported agricultural produce.
- In 1997, he was elected as the chairman of his hometown branch of the Kenya African National Union (KANU), which was a long-term ruling party. Later the same year, he contested a parliamentary seat election which he lost.
- However, even after losing, the KANU leader and the president of that time Daniel Arap Moi seemed determined on preparing him for a greater role in public service. In 1999, Moi appointed him as the chairman of the Kenya Tourist Board.
- Also in 2001, President Moi nominated him for a parliament seat. Later, Moi appointed him as cabinet Minister for Local Government. The year that followed, he was elected as one of the four vice-chairs of KANU.
- So, in the year 2002, Uhuru was nominated as the KANU candidate for the presidency by outgoing President Moi.
- However, the plan failed as some members of the party left to support the opposition leader Mwai Kibaki, who conveniently defeated Muigai in the elections. Therefore, Uhuru became the opposition leader from January 2003 to December 2007.
- So, in 2007, Uhuru had plans of contesting the presidential election in December 2007. However, he withdrew his candidature a few months before the election and decided to back Kibaki, who was running for second term re-election against Raila Odinga.
- After the elections, there was a coalition government was formed by Kibaki and Odinga. This was after a disagreement occurred due to the number of votes that each got and felt they won. Kibaki had earlier made Kenyatta the Minister of Local Government in January 2008, but later when a coalition government started, he was appointed as the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Trade. Again in 2009, he was moved from that post to Minister of Finance, where he worked up to January 2012.
- Again in the year 2010, Kenyatta was named among the people on the list of the International Criminal Court (ICC) as one of the people who aided in the post-election violence in the 2007 election. Shortly after the charges were made public, he resigned as Minister of Finance. However, remained in his post as Deputy Prime Minister.
- In April 2012, he left KANU and formed a new party, The Nation Alliance (TNA). Later that year, he and TNA became part of a multiparty alliance that is known as the jubilee Coalition
- The party nominated him in 2013 as their presidential candidate. He won the elections held on March 4, 2013. He was sworn in as president on 9th April 2013.