There are different types of fences. A fence is a structure that encloses designated areas and forms physical barriers for humans and animals. However, they can serve various purposes which include providing privacy, keeping animals or people out, also to mark property lines, and aesthetic value.
Also, there are different styles of fences such as picket, chain-link, split-rail, and privacy fences. However, the materials used to construct a fence depend on the purpose.
Uses of Fences in the Farm.
So, below are the uses of fences on the farm.
- They are used to keep off wild animals and other intruders from outside the farm.
- Used to separate crop fields from the pastures facilitating mixed farming.
- They provide security to the homestead and farm animals.
- They also enable the farmer to Control breeding by rearing different animals in different paddocks.
- Helps to prevent the spread of diseases by isolating sick animals from the rest.
- Prevents the formation of unnecessary paths on the farm by controlling the movement of animals and people.
Types of Fences
There are two main categories of fences, these are; live and dead fences.
Mostly they are made of growing plants such as cypress, crotons, sisal, Euphorbia, and lantana.
- Cheap and easy to establish.
- Tall varieties act as windbreaks.
- Have an aesthetic value.
- Some of the species such as lantana Camara act as livestock feed.
- Provides shade to livestock.
- Some species have medicinal value.
- Thorny species are effective in controlling intruders.
There are different types of fences. These include:
- The majority of farm fences are made using wires. Wire fences are also used for marking boundaries. They are essential in controlling animal movements.
- Barbed wire
- They are commonly used for the outer fencing of farms. When reinforcing the barbed wires, droppers are used about 25 cm apart and if droppers are not available then strainers can be used between two intermediate posts.
- Woven wire
- They are normally found in intensive farms and used to enclose poultry, rabbits, and goats. The commonly used woven wires are the chain link and chicken wires.
- Normally they are constructed as temporary fences for controlling grazing on high-quality pastures. They are also used where there is strip grazing. They keep off large wild animals such as elephants and buffalo from farms.
How to establish a wire fence
- Clear the fence line and it should be 2 m wide.
- Measure and mark points on the fence line where holes are dug determining the position of the gates.
- Dig holes to a depth of 60 cm for the main fence and 75 to 90 cm for the corner and gate posts.
- Place a treated post in the holes in an upright position.
- Mix concrete 1:3:5 ratio and place it in the hole.
- Nail barbed wire on the post with fencing staples.
- Fix the lower strand of wire first, and use it as a guide to fix the next up to the required number.
- Mount Kenya University history, fees, courses
- Public Universities in Kenya
- List of best private primary schools in Kirinyaga County.
- List of Best private secondary schools in Nairobi County.
- The best private primary schools in Nyeri county.
- How is The Lenana Boy school and location?
- A list of special secondary schools, and contacts.