Prof. Njuguna Ndung’u is a Kenyan citizen who has served as an economist, a university lecturer, and a researcher. He was the eighth Governor of the Central Bank of Kenya between the years 2007 and 2015. He was born in Lodwar in the county of Turkana.
So, Prof was born in the year 1960. Therefore, he is 62 years old as of 2022.
Education of Prof. Njuguna Ndung’u
Njuguna went to study for a Bachelor of Arts in Economics at the University of Nairobi. Also, he continued by studying Master of Arts still at the University of Nairobi. He later did a Ph.D. from the University of Gothenburg in Sweden.
Family of Prof. Njuguna Ndung’u
Professor Njuguna’s family life has not been made very open to the public. However, it is known that he has three children by the names Stephen, Ian, and Brenda Ndung’u.
- Prof. Njuguna worked at the AERC network as a trainer and researcher. He served as the AERC director of training between 2003-2007.
- Governor at the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) for a two-4year term. That is 2007-2015. During his tenure, there was a great rise in Kenya in the financial inclusion space globally.
- Also, he worked as an associate Professor of Economics at the University of Nairobi, and a faculty member of the School of Economics at the same university from 1987.
- He also worked as a lecturer in advanced economic theory and econometrics. Moreover, he published largely in international journals and also chapters in several economic policy issues books.
- He has been a member of the Brookings Africa Growth Initiative (AGI) Distinguished Advisory Group.
- He was also a member of the Committee of Ten (C10) which comprises five Finance Ministers and five Central Bank Governors that represent the five regions of Africa. It provides a platform for policy response in the global financial crisis.
- Prof. Ndung’u was a chair of the Advisory Committee of the Alliance for Financial Inclusion (AFI) in the years between 2009-2012.
- Also, he has served as a member of the Global Advisory Council (GAC) in the World Economic Forum (WEF).
- He served as Principal Analyst and Head of the Macro Economic and Econometrics Modelling Division of Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis, (KIPPRA) from 1999 – 2001.
Cabinet Secretary Appointment
Ndung’u was appointed cabinet secretary for National Treasury and Planning on 27th September 2022 by president Ruto.