What is schizophrenia? it is a group of mental disorders that you can identify by the inability of a person to think, feel, and behave clearly. This is due to the person’s mind being unable to properly interpret their environment and act accordingly. There are different types but they all share the above characteristics.
People with this condition appear to have lost touch with reality, which can be distressing to those around them.
Here are some of the known types:
- Paranoid-The most common form characterized by having hallucinations.
2. Catatonic-A rare type known by the unresponsive individual despite stimuli.
3. Residual-Associated with persons with past symptoms of Paranoid type but presently showing characteristics of Catatonic type.
4. Undifferentiated-This is whereby the individual is showing signs beyond those that identify the previous three forms.
Causes of Schizophrenia
The exact causes of this condition are unknown, However, recent studies suggest some people are more prone to it due to their genetics but other factors like environment and mental/psychological state contribute as well.
The above risk factors may result in the disorder when triggered by stress and drug abuse.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
The disorder can be commonly identified with the following symptoms:
- Disorganization of speech that is sometimes meaningless.
- Lack of emotional expression.
- Unusual behavior, movement, and posture.
- Disorganized thinking noted in their jumbled speech.
- Several delusions whereby one has fixed beliefs in things that even facts show the contrary.
- Negative signs such as limited speech, withdrawal, and lack of social interest.
It is good to note that treatments differ according to the type that one has. Also, the specific individual hence why diagnosis by a professional is vital in order to carry out the proper treatment.
If there is reason to believe one is suffering from the disorder, it is advisable to seek immediate help as the individual may result to risky methods of coping with their condition like drug abuse!