Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) is a state corporation. Established in 1990, by an act of parliament under the Ministry of Health. Entrusted to train various health disciplines in the health sector, to serve both local and international markets. The college is accredited by the Ministry of Education. Offers medical training from certificates, upgrading, diploma, and higher diploma to short medical courses. There are two distinct semesters; the first semester is from early September to late January, while the second semester is from early February to late July. There are 7 faculties with 18 departments that offer 93 courses.
The faculties are:
- The faculty of Diagnostic Sciences.
- The faculty of Nursing.
- The faculty of Public Health.
- The faculty of Clinical Sciences.
- The faculty of Rehabilitative Sciences.
- The faculty of Information Technology and Medical Education.
- The faculty of Pharmaceutical science.
There are 72 campuses in different parts of Kenya, each teaching different medical courses. It is only the Nairobi campus that has all the courses. It also acts as the headquarter for the KMTC campuses. The intakes are two each year; the March intake and the September intake.
Entry Requirements for Kenya Medical Training College
- Certificate- minimum requirement is C-, with specific subject qualification per cluster in the KCSE depending on the course. It takes 2 years except for nursing which takes 2½ years.
- Upgrading course – candidate must have a certificate in the respective medical course and from a recognized institution that is accredited. Last for 2 years except for community Nursing which takes 18 months.
- Diploma- C is the minimum. Each course has a specific subject qualification per cluster in KCSE. Takes 3 years except for community health nursing which takes 3½ years.
- Higher diploma- one must have a diploma from an accredited institution and 2 years minimum working experience.
- Short courses – offered to individuals and organizations. Helps one remain relevant in their profession. Last from a few days to 6 months.
- Clinical medicine and surgery – diploma and higher diploma.
- Medical laboratory sciences – diploma and higher diploma.
- Pharmacy – diploma and higher diploma.
- Occupation therapy – diploma and higher diploma.
- Optometry – diploma and higher diploma.
- Physiotherapy – diploma and higher diploma.
- Radiography and imaging – diploma and higher diploma.
- Orthopedic technology – diploma and higher diploma.
- Dental technology- diploma.
- Community oral health- diploma.
- Orthopedic trauma medicine – certificate and diploma.
- Nutrition and dietetics – certificate and diploma.
- Health records and information technology – certificate and diploma.
- Nursing – certificate, diploma, and higher diploma.
- Health promotion and community health – certificate, diploma & higher diploma.
- Medical engineering – certificate, diploma & higher diploma.
- Public health – Certificate, diploma & higher diploma.