Jimmy Carter whose birth name is James Earl Carter Jr is an American national. He is a politician and philanthropist who served as the 39th president of the United States of America from the year 1977 to 1981.
How old is Carter?
Carter was born on 1st October 1924, in Plains, Georgia. Therefore, he is old.
Which school did Jimmy Carter attend?
For his Primary and Secondary education, he attended public schools in Plains, Georgia. He graduated from Plains High School in the year 1941. After completing high school, he joined the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis. There, he graduated in the year 1946 with a Bachelor of Science degree and a commission as an ensign in the United States Navy.
He later joined the U.S. Navy’s Submarine School in New London, Connecticut to train as an officer on nuclear submarines.
Who is the wife of Jimmy Carter?
Jimmy married Rosalynn Smith on July 7, 1946. was born on August 18th, 1927, in Plains, Georgia. His wife played a big role during Jimmy’s presidency period from 1977 to 1981 while she was the first lady. She advocated for mental health issues and various social causes. Additionally, they have dealt with different charitable and philanthropic endeavors, including The Carter Center.
The Children of Jimmy Carter
Jimmy and Rosalynn are blessed with four children together. These are;
- Jack Carter. He is the 1st born and was born on 3rd July 1947. He has been into business and politics. In the year 2006, he ran for the United States Senate in Nevada.
2. James “Chip” Carter III. He was born on April 12th, 1950. Chip has severally been involved in Jimmy’s presidential campaigns and has worked in the field of environmental sustainability.
3. Donnel “Jeff” Carter. He was born on 18th August 1952. Donnel has lived a private life. Therefore, not much is known by the public about him.
4. Amy Carter. She was born on 19th October 1967. She is the youngest child of the couple. Amy pursued has been involved in activism and writing.
- After he graduated from the United States Naval Academy in the year 1946, he joined and served in the United States Navy. Here, he served as an officer on nuclear submarines. Later, h left Nave in the year 1953 and went back to Plains, Georgia to work on the family peanut farm and other business ventures.
- However, he started his political career when he served in the Georgia State Senate from the year 1963 to 1967. From the year 1971 to 1975, he was elected as the 76th Governor of Georgia where he served for one term.
- Again in 1976, he was elected as the 39th President of the United States. He emphasized energy conservation and renewable energy sources in response to the energy crisis of the 1970s. He played a great role in brokering the Camp David Accords which lead to a peace treaty between Israel and Egypt.
- He also made human rights a cornerstone of his foreign policy.
- However, even after leaving the presidency, he founded The Carter Center in 1982. It is a nonprofit organization that focuses on global issues such as health, human rights, conflict resolution, and democracy promotion.
- Additionally, he got involved in diplomatic missions and election monitoring around the world to promote peace, democracy, and fair elections.
- Moreover, he is the author of several books that focuses on politics, human rights, and international relations.